Get Writing! Ages 7-12
Get Writing! Ages 7-12 : Creative Book-making Projects for Children
- For ages: 6-8
- Format: Paperback | 64 pages
- Dimensions: 216 x 279 x 6mm | 283g
- Publication date: 10 Aug 2008
- Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Imprint: A & C Black Publishers Ltd
- Publication City/Country: London, United Kingdom
- Language: English
- Edition Statement: UK ed.
- Illustrations note: Colour diagrams throughout
- ISBN10: 0713687754
- ISBN13: 9780713687750
- Bestsellers rank: 190,257
Many of the best children's books today are true masterpieces of design, with imaginative texts, pop-ups, pull-outs and removable items to stimulate young, enquiring minds. But with such sophisticated models, how can parents and teachers bridge the gap between what children read and what they write themselves? In Get Writing: Ages 7-12, Paul Johnson set out to achieve this aim by showing how children can combine words, images and paper engineering to make books every bit as enchanting as those they delight in. Each section of the book introduces a basic book form - e.g. a pop-up book, a shape book, a zigzag book or a flap book - and then gives examples of different ways the design can be used for a variety of exciting writing projects. Detailed advice is given on how to plan each project, how to draft the text and how to construct the book.