The Heart of Higher Education
The Heart of Higher Education : A Call to Renewal
- Format: Hardback | 256 pages
- Dimensions: 162 x 232 x 24mm | 444g
- Publication date: 20 Aug 2010
- Publisher: John Wiley & Sons Inc
- Publication City/Country: New York, United States
- Language: English
- ISBN10: 0470487909
- ISBN13: 9780470487907
- Bestsellers rank: 185,736
A call to advance integrative teaching and learning in higher education. From Parker Palmer, best-selling author of The Courage to Teach, and Arthur Zajonc, professor of physics at Amherst College and director of the academic program of the Center for Contemplative Mind in Society, comes this call to revisit the roots and reclaim the vision of higher education. The Heart of Higher Education proposes an approach to teaching and learning that honors the whole human being mind, heart, and spirit an essential integration if we hope to address the complex issues of our time. The book offers a rich interplay of analysis, theory, and proposals for action from two educators and writers who have contributed to developing the field of integrative education over the past few decades.
* Presents Parker Palmer s powerful response to critics of holistic learning and Arthur Zajonc s elucidation of the relationship between science, the humanities, and the contemplative traditions * Explores ways to take steps toward making colleges and universities places that awaken the deepest potential in students, faculty, and staff * Offers a practical approach to fostering renewal in higher education through collegiality and conversation The Heart of Higher Education is for all who are new to the field of holistic education, all who want to deepen their understanding of its challenges, and all who want to practice and promote this vital approach to teaching and learning on their campuses.