Understanding English as a Lingua Franca
Understanding English as a Lingua Franca : A complete introduction to the theoretical nature and practical implications of English used as a lingua franca
- Format: Paperback | 264 pages
- Dimensions: 162 x 234 x 16mm | 418g
- Publication date: 22 Sep 2011
- Publisher: Oxford University Press
- Publication City/Country: Oxford, United Kingdom
- Language: English
- ISBN10: 0194375005
- ISBN13: 9780194375009
- Bestsellers rank: 411,260
The number of English speakers in the world continues to grow, but the vast majority are non-native speakers using English to communicate with each other, rather than with native speakers.
This book examines the use of English as a Lingua Franca (ELF) from various perspectives. It explores the various ways in which ELF represents a challenge to the predominance of the native-speaker model, as well as its implications for other fields of linguistic research and for English language teaching.